I have this old dresser in my bedroom I got six years ago. It's tall, narrow, and brown with splotches of red marker from the previous owner. It's rickety and the drawers on it are hard to open and when you do finally get it to after hours of pushing and pulling, it gives a screech loud enough to bust your eardrums.
This dresser is awful and because of it, I use it to store my personal things that I don't need every day, such as my old writings, CDs, and other memory-related things. I only use it actively for the top of it to keep things on it such as makeup, my water bottle, and other miscellaneous items. On the other side of my room, however, I have brand new clean white dressers that open and close perfectly.
It's so big and annoying that I never had plans to do anything with it. I always told myself that if anything ever falls from the top and gets under it, I should just consider it gone. Well, that was until yesterday. I'm not the type that has to wear makeup everyday but like your average female, I do like to wear it every now and again. My foundation fell under it and of course, that meant I had to do the unthinkable: move this dang dresser.
That's exactly what I did and in the process, I cleaned everything. No, I didn't find anything under it that was life-changing and yes, I did find my makeup and yes, there is a point to this blog post.
As I began to clean under it, around it, and even on top of it, I thought to myself, how many things get tossed to the side because it's old. How many old relationships of any kind get tossed away just because it was something that happened more than five years ago? This dresser didn't do anything to me, it just didn't do anything for me. But letting it go wasn't right on my part. When I do that, it collects dust, gets dirty, and becomes more run down than before. When you let a person go, it does the same for your relationship.
Every once in awhile, I catch myself missing someone I used to converse with. I eventually let it go, thinking why does it matter? Obviously, they don't miss me so why should I miss them? Surprisingly, I'm not the only one who does this. When two old friends think this same thought, you build an unnecessary barrier between the both of you and those five years can turn into ten. It can damage the amazing relationship you once had with this person just because you didn't give them that phone call first. And, for lack of better terms, it sucks.
Sure, I have shiny new dressers (or new friends) but that dresser and I have history and at the end of the day, it is not useless. I took the time to clean it. I actually appreciated it for what it was and what it has done for me in the past six years.
You have to do that with people. Even if you still talk to said person, make sure you take time out of your day to really let the person know how grateful you are for them in your life. Sometimes, we take those simple things for granted. You have to appreciate what you got and love every little last piece of it.
If you take anything from this blog from a crazy lady having an emotional connection with her dresser, think of this: there is at least one person that you miss that most likely misses you too. Sometimes rekindling old friendships aren't so bad, even if things weren't left on such good terms. So seriously, take my advice and run with it. Don't let those relationships become old run down dressers.
No comments:
Post a Comment